Catalogue

Monday, September 19, 2016

Top Venus(name pending) 1: First video & concept art.


Controls: 
Arrow Keys / WASD/ Analogue Stick/ D-Pad- Moves.
Space/ 3/ B- Jumps.
Shift/ R1- Walk.
Q/ L1- Lock on.
Right Mouse/ 0/ 1/ 4/ 5/ X/ Y- Dodge
Left Mouse/ 2/ A- Kick attack.

About the video:

I'm pretty happy with the walking animation, so I show that off for a bit at the start along with the pants on/ pants off feature. The walk was partially inspired by Bayonetta, and shows off Venus' personally pretty well.

After that I show off the clothing removal a bit more. When Venus does not have her wings she can't fly. Her clothing is actually based on her HP. She gains a double jump when her HP is 3, her wings and 2 more midair jumps when it's 4, and has 5 total midair jumps when it's full. You get more clothing as you defeat enemy succubi, seen in their idle state in the video.

If she loses too much clothing her animations change so she covers her chest. This also serves to let the player know that she's lost too much HP, and her abilities have become too limited. At this point you're no longer able to home in on things to kick around, and have to fight with your own power until you can reclaim your clothing & HP.

Which leads me to the next point, Venus' main attacking method: she kicks things into other things. In the video this is represented by a ray that shows where the enemy would fly when kicked. She has a homing feature with this attack, which gains more range as her HP rises.

The last feature is mainly for the debug mode, but it'll be available for the player to use at their discretion: time control. I added this feature partly just for being sexy, and partly to test how well I could implement it. This whole project was mainly to get me into scripting for 3D games, this was my first time scripting for 3D features.  I definitely plan to use what I learned in future projects, whether or not I decide to continue this particular game past the Game Jam's ending.



The initial idea for "Top Venus" was a game about someone who stole people's clothes. At first it was some sort of love god who ran around randomly stripping everyone. But soon I had the idea for the main character also losing her clothing, and even gaining powers based on her outfit. The idea of a succubus who stole her opponent's clothing was pretty appealing to me, though admittedly it's a bit less original than you might know. The initial design for Venus, as seen above, was very appealing to me and brought the idea together.

No comments:

Post a Comment